Friday, February 05, 2010

Daughter's Etiquette Class Teaches Dad a Thing or Two

My 10-year-old daughter completed her etiquette and "social graces" lessons at the "Dogwood Cotillion" yesterday.

The last of four one-and-a-quarter-hour classes, in which about 50 fifth grade boys and girls learn proper dress, manners, and basic dance moves, was "parent night."

I learned more than I expected, including:
  1. The bread plate goes on the left (remember BMW: bread, meal, water).
  2. Girls should not phone boys except for homework, an update on a previous invitation, or other specific purpose (no chit chat); corollary: Boys may call girls for any reason, just not between the hours of 10 p.m. and 8 a.m.
  3. Always hand write thank you notes.
My daughter says we wasted our money, since she already knows everything about manners. That's debatable, but I think I got my money's worth. Not only did I guarantee I won't use the wrong bread plate at Rotary next week, I got to dance with my daughter. I need to write Dogwood Cotillion a thank you note.

No comments: